Last week a coworker, Sarah, asked me to make a queen-sized quilt for her new house. I couldn't have been more thrilled! We discussed patterns and fabric over lunch, finally deciding on a patchwork pattern using fall colors. With only a picture on Pinterest to work with, I searched and searched for a pattern, to no avail. All I ever found was the picture - no pattern, info, etc. I eventually gave up and decided to create a pattern myself, which would be very close to the pattern of the quilt she'd picked out.
The quilt was made up of about 50 pieces, all squares and rectangles of different sizes. I'm not so great at "random", so I decided to copy the general layout of the quilt pictured, and then add some extra pieces to get the desired length.
Although the math was frustrating, and the cutting process ridiculously long, the top actually came together very quickly. It took only about two hours to complete the piecing.
Sarah loves fall colors, which worked out perfectly because I already had a gorgeous collection of fabrics from Tipsy Star Quilts in Asheville that I've just been dying to cut into. I supplemented those with some purple (Sarah's favorite), tan, and orange from Joann's. The colors all worked together harmoniously!
This quilt is named box at the opera because Sarah is a musician and sings opera. I can't wait to finish this one up and get it to her. I hope she loves it as much as I do!