Thursday, February 6, 2014

My First Free Motion Attempts

I decided to try free motion quilting! I have been very frustrated with the fact that many of my quilt tops remain folded in the closet. Hand quilting takes to long, I didn't know how to free motion, and I didn't have money to send it out for long arm.

So earlier this week I read all the instructions for free motion, made a practice "sandwich", and started doodling. 


Today I decided to give it a shot on an actual project. I was SO nervous!!! It took a lot of focus but I finally finished!



The swirls were really simple, and a great pattern to start with. I wasn't particularly happy with my decision to try a heart...it turned out a little wonky. But nonetheless, I was happy with the result.




When it is finished, this will be a tote bag for my mother-in-law's birthday :)







I was also dying to get my Happy Accident quilt finished, so I tried another pattern. I had practiced some simple waves and they were pretty easy. The courthouse steps layout made it so easy to keep the waves evenly spaced.





I wanted the motion of the waves to look natural, so I didn't make them all the same. In some places, the waves are concentric, and in others they aren't.




I was pretty nervous to attack these projects since I don't have very much practice. But I think they turned out nicely! Hopefully there will be many more free motion projects to come!

I'd love comments on your free motion projects, tips, tricks, etc.

Thanks!
LB

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Lucy! Great first attempts at FMQ! They turned out great. I don't know what resources you have for learning FMQ, but I have two to suggest. Christina Cameli, who blogs over at AFewScraps.blogspot.com, has written a great book about FMQ, which has some great projects to create while you learn. You can also see many of her FMQ tips on her blog - look at the info on the tab for Free Motion Quilting at the top of her blog.

    Keep practicing - I can't wait to see what other FMQ projects you link up on Whoop Whoop Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to free motion quilting. I remember that trepidation when I first started (not that long ago). I think I've done about 10 quilts since I began. The loops look great and the waves. I've looked from time to time at freemotionquilting.blogspot.com.au which also has some tutorials to watch. I recommend feathers as a surprisingly effective and manageable one too. Looking forward to seeing the development.

    ReplyDelete